It’s Time to Modernize Communications for Public Transit Operations
Too many public transportation organizations know they need to leave their legacy communication technology behind. Aging vehicle radios tether their operations to the past, creating silos, inefficiencies, and reliance on obsolete processes. Ultimately, outdated technology hinders the full realization of any digital transformation efforts.
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), Greater Boston’s public transportation service, faced these challenges and turned to Orion’s Push-to-Talk (PTT) 2.0 communications platform for their paratransit service, The RIDE. MBTA knew that today’s transportation operations need a unified communications solution that offers the full advantages of next-generation PTT 2.0.
How Greater Boston’s Public Transit System Innovated Operations With Orion
MBTA’s The RIDE provides door-to-door transportation for passengers with temporary or permanent disabilities. Their operations manage up to 7,500 trips (pre-COVID) in its 22-hour operating day, seven days a week, in 58 cities and towns around the Greater Boston area.
When MBTA decided to replace their legacy radios, they searched for an innovative solution that would not only offer a better technology alternative but also improve their operations. Orion’s comprehensive, unified communications platform met their requirements and helped MBTA to:
- Save an estimated $700,000 in ROI each year by automating radio checks with Voice AI Bots
- Send over 30,000 messages every day with All-Call, ad hoc 1:1, or limited group environments
- Centralize incident response and customer service support with the Orion Management Console
- Archive all driver and control center messages for safety, compliance, and incident reports
- Integrate with apps like Adept and GoogleMaps
Is your transportation organization ready to digitally transform your communications and operations? Learn more about how Orion addressed each of MBTA’s technology requirements in our MBTA case study.
You Might Also Like:
- 4 Reasons Public Transportation Operations Need PTT 2.0
- Logistics and Transportation Review names Orion a “Top 10 Intelligent Transport Systems Solution Providers for 2021”
- Article: 4 Ways to Include Deskless Logistics Workers in Your Digital Strategy
- Transportation and Logistics Communications Need to Move Beyond Push-to-Talk and Radios
- E-book: 12 Reasons Radios Are Holding Your Company Back
- E-book: The Future of Voice at Work